A Day in the Life of a Veterinary Technician
Becoming a veterinary technician is one of the most rewarding career options available. “Vet Techs”, as they are often referred to, spend their workdays helping our treasured pets when they are ill or injured and so play an important role in society. We certainly love our pets!
A Day in the Life of a Veterinary Technician:
Vet Techs have a diverse daily work flow that will often include the following roles and responsibilities;
- Compiling pet history and liaising with pet owners
- Preparing for surgical procedures
- Assisting Veterinary Surgeons with equipment and instruments
- Assisting Veterinarians where required
- Carrying out laboratory tests
- Working with other staff within the veterinary practice
- Taking and developing X-rays
- Administer anaesthesia to animals
- Euthanize seriously injured or ill animals
As a Veterinary Technician, you are essentially the Veterinarian’s assistant.
Veterinary Technicians are well paid for their role and can earn upwards of $30,000 per year for their effort.
Overall, becoming a Veterinary Technician is a fantastic career path to take if you enjoy working with animals!